The Venus Labyrinth
The Venus Labyrinth is one of the major works by Nullo Facchini and Cantabile 2, made as a part of Facchini’s investigation of a new theatre form transforming the site-specific into the human-specific, and dealing with the universal sensitivity of human as an emotional being.
The Venus Labyrinth is conceived as an individual, interactive journey into the female brain. The Labyrinth contains 28 installation rooms, corresponding to the 28 known areas of the human brain, and each room is inhabited by a woman. Each performer has, in collaboration with director Nullo Facchini, created her room starting from a true personal memory, an experience, in some cases even a secret.
Each spectator enters the labyrinth alone, with a few minutes’ interval, and joins these women in a unique, sensorial and emotional experience. No spectator is presented with the entire labyrinth; not two spectators will view or share the same experience. The journey takes approximately 1 hour.
The Venus Labyrinth has been performed at the old fortress Masnedø in Vordingborg, at the fortress Trekroner in Copenhagen, in a bunker in Bielefeld, Germany, at Godsbanen in Aarhus, at an old asylum, in The Arches, Glasgow, Scotland and in the Gatchina Palace in Skt Petersborg. In addition it has been produced in a special version with women from Syria, Jordan and Iran for the festival Images of the Middle East.
ReviewsExploration and suprise are [...] the keywords for this successful, original, talented and deeply seductive theater experience performed by the ensemble Cantabile 2★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★Børsen, Lars WredstrømA sensual experience, involving oneself and with simple powerful means opens and transforms the spectator so that the world cannot be experienced in the same way afterwards.♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥Politiken, Janus KodalA different and exclusive theater experience for the daring. Theater that incorporates the entire sensory system. Sounds, light, smells, tastes and the sense of touch.★ ★ ★ ★ ★They take you in physically, and let you be the all-roaming camera that zooms in at a crucial moment in a women’s life. Bodily, verbally, totally.Sandra Morenilla Nielsen: "After an hour's walk through the labyrinth, you are left with a thirst for the staged presence and a tantalizing curiosity about what is hidden in the last 25 rooms."The project made a big impression on the Russian public.This video presents the French theatre professional, Gabriella Cserhati, who describes her experiences with one-to-on live art in The Venus Labyrinth.Reportage at Chanel Sct. Petersburg, 4:50 min. Click the circulating ikon in the video at the pageShort feature on Leningrad Regional TV Company, 1:42 min. Click on the circulating link in the video on the page
Audience feedbackAfter our performances we invite the audience to write about their experiences:What I find here is both very honest and very timeless and unfortunately something rarely found. You remind me that there are mountains, rivers and life.This has been wonderful. It’s been a long time since something has touched me so deeply. I will never forget this or you. I thank you of all my heart.Wonderful. It’s not just theatre – it’s healing, therapy, beauty from the divine world. I have become an entire human being.
- Idea and concept
- Nullo Facchini
- Nullo Facchini
- Catia Hauberg Engel, Katrine Karlsen
- Signal design
- Adalstein Stefansson
- Sofie Salfelt, Jan Danebod, Kamille le Fevre, Anna Henson, Siri Facchini-Haff, Bernice Tilly Fairbrother, Stine Gaarsmand, Sofie Levy
- Per Aagaard, Bert-Åke Persson, Allan Hansen, Thomas Christiansen, Sean Hind, Steen Jacobsen, Julius Krusa, Tonu Krusa, Hanno Schröder, Jan Daley Burzlaff, Jost Jakobfeuerborn, Martin Orlik, James Kjølsen, Renee Gjerløv
- Susanne Danig, Abigail McMillan, Angela Mages
- – 2013 (The House William)
- Anne Nyboe, Eja Due, Eva Isolde Balzer, Josefin Gladh, Kaja Egeberg, Karolina Pietrzykowska, Nina Matthis, Sabrina Martin, Sara Fink Søndergaard, Sarah Cipa Pape, Sharron Devine, Signe Harder, Siri Facchini Haff, Suzanne Darmer, Amalie Grønkjær, Ea Gjedde Christiansen, Katrine Lykke Vedfald
- – 2012 (The Urban plan)
- Amia Miang, Anne Nyboe, Eja Due, Eva Isolde Balzer, Karolina Pietrzykowska, Marie Louise Maegaard, Mazz Marsden, Nina Matthis, Sabrina Martin, Sara Fink Søndergaard, Sharron Devine, Signe Harder, Siri Facchini Haff, Wubkje Kuindersma, Christine Marie Mather, Eva Esmann Behrens, Mia Mimi Boyding, Suzanne Darmer
- – 2010 (Godsbanen)
- Alyssa Stith, Aude Henrye, Betina Birkjær Hansen, Eva Damholt, Eva Isolde Balzer, Helga Rosenfelt Olsen, Karin Bergstrand, Karolina Pietrzykowska, Maria Bergman, Marie Louise Maegaard, Mette Aakjær, Signe Harder, Siri Facchini Haff, Suzanne Darmer, Yael Gaathon, Ditte Bille Winther, Kamille le Fevre
- – 2010 (Surge Festival)
- Anna Nierobisz, Anna Rylance Murdoch, Charlene Boyd, Eva Isolde Balzer, Judith Williams, Kathryn Cooley, Louise Montgomery, Mazz Marsden, Morag Stark, Pene Herman Smith, Sabrina Martin, Sharron Devine, Signe Harder, Siri Facchini Haff, Louise Stewart, Sarah Potter
- – 2009 (Waves Festival)
- Annika B. Lewis, Aude Henrye, Cindy Rudel, Eva Isolde Balzer, Gimena Costa, Karolina Pietrzykowska, Mari Mägi, Maria Bergman, Monika Wachowicz, Nanna Hviid, Signe Harder, Siri Facchini Haff, Tora Balslev Jespersen, Ulla Katcher, Amalie Grønkjær, Ea Gjedde Christiansen
- – 2008 (Theaterlabor, Bielefeld)
- Alexa Griestop, Daniela Johnen, Eva Isolde Balzer, Indira Heidemann, Jasmina de Boer, Joanna Chwastek, Joanna Pyrcz, Karolina Pietrzykowska, Maria Katarzyna Gliwa, Monika Wachowicz, Natalia Kruszyna, Siri Facchini Haff, Stefanie Taubert, Tora Balslev Jespersen, Gerritt Frerich, Martin Orlik, Minea Garzlaff, Nicole Deinhardt
- – 2006 (Images)
- Amal Omran, Diana Knudsen, Ditte Marie Laumann, Hala Omran, Maysoun Hassan Abou Assad, Nanda Mohammad, Nasreen I. Hashim Al-Janabi, Nisrin Adel Fendi, Noura Mourad, Raghad Amakhlouf, Sara Gebran, Siri Facchini Haff, Valeria Pilia
- – 2006 (Trekroner Fortet)
- Alessandra Leo, Anana Rydvald, Betina Birkjær Hansen, Cecilie Brask, Christina Rittig Falkberg, Diana Knudsen, Ditte Marie Laumann, Malou Lindholm, Manuela Sanna, Nanna Hviid, Signe Harder, Siri Facchini Haff, Tora Balslev Jespersen, Ulla Katcher, Valeria Pilia
- – 2003 (Waves Festival)
- Anana Rydvald, Betina Birkjær Hansen, Burkhard Forstreuter, Christina Rittig Falkberg, Cindy Rudel, Ellen Spens, Helle Mørch, Katrine Karlsen, Maria Eriksson, Mette Aakjær, Nanna Hviid, Peter Sloth Larsen, Siri Facchini Haff, Tanja Truelsen, Ulrik Stets Hilden